Building the Foundation

2This week I started working on the basic pieces for the model.  Right now I’m working on building the core joints that will be used throughout the figure.  I just finished the basic hinge joints that will be used in the hips and shoulders, and possibly main body.  I will be using some variation on them for the ankles and wrists, too.  I took a lot of inspiration from Gundam kits, as well as the joints used in the Kaiyodo Revoltech line.  Much like those examples, I’d like to avoid using too much hardware for this project, like screws or fasteners, so I’m trying to build as much of it as possible to be snap-together like a model kit.


The joints work pretty well in this regard.  I made a test print for the basic joint, and right out of the printer, they snapped together and worked well (aside from the fact that one end of the joint snapped off immediately, but that was from the low fill density I used for this print).  I built in a ratcheting function so they can hold their position better, which also seemed to work nicely.  For the final model I will probably need to do a little cleanup, but as a proof of concept, I’m quite pleased.

1By the end of the month, I’m aiming to have all the joints and a basic skeleton modeled. Moving into April I’d like to start prototyping of physical model of the skeleton to make sure all the joints move as intended.  Last thing I want is to finish it and realize something doesn’t move as intended.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s