I’ve been spending the last month doing the concept work for this project, and it’s almost finished. I’m just finalizing the rest of it, but in the mean time, I wanted to post the main concept. The rest should be coming later this week.
Looking back at my earlier concepts, I do feel this is the one I’m most satisfied with (as one would hope). I incorporated several aspects from earlier designs that I felt were working while trying to refine everything else. In the beginning, I was trying to start from scratch too much. I quickly realized I had already done a lot of the footwork for this design with my previous concepts, and it didn’t make sense to throw everything out.
This design has actually been about 90% finished for a few weeks, but there were a few parts that weren’t working, like the arms and legs. I usually find that taking a break for a little while and coming back later to play with different ideas is the best way to get some fresh perspective on it. In the past, a lot of my designs would turn out just ‘good enough.’ There would usually be aspects about them that bothered me, but I’d be too lazy to fix. Instead, I decided that if there was any part of a design I wasn’t excited about or felt like it didn’t fit, it deserved special attention until I got it right. For the longest time, the arms and legs weren’t working for me, so I kept trying things until I came to something I liked. I had started getting a bit burned out on this for a while, which was expected, but I’m excited to push forward again.