Not a whole lot to post yet, as I’m still in the process of getting all the concept work finished for this character. I’m liking where it’s heading so far. I thought the main concept was done about a week ago, but after coming back to it, I started making some changes that I think really helped.
Looking back through my sketchbooks, I started to see how much this project had been building up, even before I officially started working on it. Just pages and pages of ideas, designs, diagrams and quick sketches. So I’m not going into this thing with a blank canvas, and I’ve had a pretty good idea of what I wanted for a while. But when you sit down to really flesh something like this out, you start to realize just how much you still haven’t figured out. When doing the concept work, I feel like I tend to get the first 80% of the design done pretty quickly, and all my time after that is spent sorting out the smaller details.
When I was getting started with this whole thing, I scanned all the pages in my sketchbook that related to this project. While not everything below was done as part of the Orchid Mantis project, it all contributed in some way, guiding me to the final design I’m working on now. This collage is more or less a timeline of my ideas, with the newest on top and the very first sketches I did a few years ago at the bottom. I always find it insightful to see the progression of ideas, and if you’re reading this, maybe you will too.